The values of Jesus-followers versus the values of the world as found in The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:2-11:
- Poor in spirit, humble proud, competent, self-reliant
- Mourn, sad over sin pleasure-seeking, carefree
- Hungry for God, self-sufficient, satisfied
- Merciful self-righteous, able take care of themselves
- Pure in heart, holy indulge in sin
- Peacemakers competitive, aggressive
- Persecuted comfortable
This is a not a list that you and I need to do in order to achieve salvation and enter the Kingdom of Heaven; they’re an expression of someone who is already a part of the Kingdom, revealing to the world that they’ve been transformed. How is a person transformed? By the person and work of Jesus as we come to Him in faith.
So what should you do?
- If you’re not a Christian, embrace Jesus as Lord and Savior and enter the Kingdom by turning from your sins and trusting in Him.
- If you are a Christian and there’s areas where you’re not living out the above-stated values, look to Jesus and by His grace seek to intentionally live out The Sermon of the Mount.