When you’re bitter and refuse to forgive or exude an openness to forgive what do the Scriptures say about you?
- You are forgetting the size of the massive sin debt for which God forgave you.
- You are declaring that you do not need God’s forgiveness in your life.
- You are declaring that you do not need God’s mercy on the day of judgment.
- You are assuming God’s role as judge.
- You are forgetting the fact that the offender, as a sinner, is in one sense deceived and enslaved by his sin and you lack compassion.
- You are forgetting the fact that you, as a sinner, are capable of the same sin and that the same root sin may already reside in you.
Taken from Robert Jones’ book Uprooting Anger: Biblical Help For A Common Problem