First, you should humble yourself or ….(James 4:7-10) with the Gospel and a Cross-centered perspective.
Here’s some practical steps as well:
- Pray for God to search your heart (by His Spirit with His Word) and help you repent of pride and to grow in humility (Ps 139).
- Read the Law, Psalms and the Prophets often to gain a high view of God and a proper view of yourself.
- Study Jesus (His earthly example; especially in the Gospels – Mt.11:28-30, focus on His humility).
- Ask others if you come across proud in any way.
- Spend as much focused time as possible worshipping God (e.g., praising, prayer, reading and meditating). Be sure to center in on the Love of God demonstrated at the Cross.
- Practice the “one-another” commands (35+).
- Work with the Holy Spirit to put off pride and put on humility at the level of your motives, thoughts, communication and actions.
- Have the mindset that humility must be a way of life (Phil 2:1-11).
Taken from, From Pride to Humility, Bemidji, Minnesota: Focus Publishers, 2000.