In an earlier post I mentioned that our elder’s are reading through Paul David Tripp’s book Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change and the wisdom he brings to the reader is unbelievably important. Briefly, I wanted to share some truths he submit to the reader regarding suffering:
- The Bible clearly declares that God is sovereign over all things – even suffering.
- The Bible clearly says that God is good.
- The Bible clearly says that God has a purpose for our suffering.
- The Bible explains the ultimate reasons why we suffer: (1) we suffer because we live in a fallen world, (2) we suffer because of our flesh, (3) we suffer because others sin against us and (4) we suffer because of God’s good purpose.
- The Bible is clear that God’s sovereignty over suffering never: (1) means the suffering isn’t real and (2) excuses the evildoer