Practical suggestions to reverse the trend of an overly corrective relationship:
- If they have stopped listening to you, quit preaching.
- Stop moralizing about listening: “you should be listening to me!” Instead, ask the Holy Spirit to do his
- Stay up nights if you have to, thinking of ways to say what is so commendable in them.
- Keep up a steady, tender flow of words and gestures that confirm and commend them.
- We don’t affirm any particular quality we don’t personally embrace and exemplify in some appreciable measures. If we try to commend punctuality while always running late ourselves, our hypocritical compliments become off-putting.
- Love the unchanged person as is. Be a blessing to that person before he listens to you.
To purchase Sam Crabtree’s book Practicing Affirmation go here.