Bill Hybels in his book Axiom has some very insightful and wise thoughts regarding the seasons organizations go through. For my context, the organization is the church. Here’s his breakdown:
- Season of growth. In this season everything is going well, attendance is spiking, giving is on the rise and the future looks bright.
- Season of consolidation. This typically follows a season of growth and deals with assimilating and supporting people who showed up during the growth.
- Season of transition. This season involves any/all of the following: staff members leaving, church member issues, downturn in the economy, major catastrophe in the community.
- Season of malaise. In this season things look somber, stale and there’s seem to be a posture of being “stuck.”
- Season of reinvention. This is where a leader announces its time to put everything on the table and evaluate all ministries and ascertain whether there needs to be surgery or simple face-lift.
What season are you in?